Saturday, January 7, 2023

Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade

On Location: Petra, Jordan

Movies fascinate me, more so when I'm able to be on the site where they were originally shot on location. For me, it is at that moment when the line between cinematic fantasy and reality is blurred and life becomes one great adventure.

Indiana Jones is the first one on my list. Quoted lines are from the movie script.

Have you ever watched any of the Indiana Jones movies? You know, like Raiders of the Lost Ark which started it all? Or Temple of Doom and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?  Or all four released movies over and over and over again?

Oh, good.

Me, too... on all four questions.

It's The Last Crusade, the third in the series, that I want to discuss. Not because it's a personal favorite, but because we had the opportunity to visit Petra where it was filmed on location... 

... the Al Khazneh Treasury, one of the most elaborate temples in the half-built, half-carved red sandstone city in Jordan. That's where the Holy Grail is. 

Don't you already feel the thrill of the hunt? 

I see Indy and his dad, Professor Jones, beyond the silence and the shadows. Let's catch up with them. But stay close. The elaborate tombs and remnant passages are tricky. Don't even blink or you'll miss the trail. And ignore the sculptures of the mythological figures. They're creepy.
  
And watch out for the traps.

There's the Grail's inner chamber. Do you see it? Don't be alarmed by the knight who's standing guard. He's 700 years old and has only been kept alive by the power of the Grail.

He speaks. The Grail is hidden among dozens of false Grails; only the true Grail brings life, while a false one claims it. Choose wisely. 

I know it. Are you with me? I feel like we have reached the end of the road. What if Indy makes...

... the wrong choice?

The only thing I can hear is the whisper of the cold, bitter breeze as Indy rubs his hands and breathes on them. He clutches each finger in turn, trying to keep them supple, his grip strong. His face is tense with concentration. He sifts through random cups and silver urns and pewter goblets and various ornately-ornamented containers.

We're all waiting.  And crossing our fingers and all ten toes. Are you holding your breath, too?

Well, he selects... (Aside: This is just for drama. We know how it ends, right?)

... a simple wooden cup. It is dark brown and dingy with extra dings and dents and spider webs thrown in free of charge.

Thank goodness, he has chosen wisely. (Stay with me: collective sigh of relief).

The Knight warns coyly. Beware. The Grail cannot pass beyond the Great Seal, for that is the boundary, and the price, of immortality.

And look who's here? I stare, speechless. In case you don't remember, that's Dr. Elsa Schneider, Professor Jones' Austrian colleague. I'm taking the Grail, she snaps. 

As she attempts to leave with it, the temple begins to collapse. My knees almost give way, hearing the wails claw on the wall as Elsa falls to her death. 

I know, right?

Did you look away?

And the plot thickens. Compressing his lips in a moment of temptation, Indiana mutters. The Grail is mine. 

As he tries to grab it, he slips - I with him (the 'I with him' part is my own addition). My brain becomes a jumble of noise as I panic, determined to stop myself from falling into the abyss.

But Professor Jones grabs our hands, imploring us. Give me your hands!

Reaching for the Grail, Indiana whimpers, I can get it. I can almost reach it, Dad...

The Professor and I implore him in a shaky voice, Indiana. It's frightening. It feels like I'm watching the end of the world.

Then we hear the Professor's voice again, saying in a measured tone, Indiana... let it go. 

The moment seems to drag on, but Indy finally lets go.

Did you just breathe in relief?

Prof Jones thinks it's just another typical day. But I'm with Indy.

It's been Better.Than.Most.

THE END
Until next time! For now, the balcony is closed.

Yalla! Let's go! Our guide who has been waiting outside waves for us to hurry up and visit other monuments we may want to explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment