Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Mermaid At Heart

Call Of The Sea

My nose is red, my flipflops are blue

I love the beach, how about you? - Anonymous

(Left): I Was Born, From a Personal Storyboard.
 Honolulu: 2019
(Right): Six-month Curly Head after a bath.
Photo: V.E.V. Columbus: 2012 

I just know there's something about her. 

As a toddler, she would draw a small dot on her Etch a Sketch and show me. When I asked her what it was, she said, A bug.


Growing up, she would cut up little sheets and make a book. Then painstakingly create a picture story.

In her sketch books, she had made many drawings of cuddly bears and unicorns and dolphins and whales.



When she was seven, First Granddaughter interviewed me for a class assignment. Including a photo was optional. After looking at all pics with the two of us together, she chose this picture. After Sunday Service, Central Union Church.


Last year, coming home from a week-long summer art class, she had lugged along a booklet that was entitled Isela's Sea. Both for Artist's Name and Pictures By, she had written down her name.

It was a joyous depiction by someone who loves the sea. 

Of a blue whale whom she seems to counsel, Don't listen to them. I think you're fintastic.

Of a red crab with protruding eyes whom she encourages with, You're great to have around in a pinch.

Of a green turtle who makes her giggle with his joke, What do mermaids sleep on? ... Water beds!

Altogether they celebrate a life with no troubles, a life that is the bubbles, under the sea.

And the crowning glory of it all? 

A mermaid with a green-jeweled shell flower on her hair, a starfish on her hand.

What I find the most incredible thing behind all this... 

…. is the heart of a young artist who dreams of the ocean and the wild salt air.

One who makes me feel that, yeah, some days you just wanna put on some sparkly fins, be a mermaid, and go live under the flippin' sea. 


Just look at this photo. She has always been a mermaid at heart, seemingly wondering, Have I dreamt I am a mermaid. Or am I a mermaid dreaming I am me?

Cutest Little Mermaid. First Granddaughter, four years old. Photo: V.E.V., Honolulu: December 2016


She turns ten today. My beautiful First Granddaughter.


She calls herself a fish. 

At the moment, she's probably snuggled within her underwater world, maybe playing in the waves, or simply dreaming about the treasures of the deep. 

But beware, intruders. Flounder guards the cave... er... room... where she dwells.



Come out already, dear one!

Let the sun kiss your cheeks and receive mermaid kisses and starfish wishes on your especial day. 

May the current carry you - 

Let you dance with the waves,

Move with the sea.

May the rhythm of the water set your soul free.







No comments:

Post a Comment