Friday, April 7, 2023

AVS: Art On The Virtual Fence

Sometimes, a combination of things conspire toward the creation of an unscheduled blog. 

When Second Granddaughter emailed me, In your next blog, can u pls put my Picture in there next to one of my drawings, I first thought, Okay, on my back-burner.

But later that morning, passing by Waikiki Zoo during our daily walk, I spotted the advertisement for Art on the Zoo Fence in which local artists display their work in the splendor of an outdoor setting - and I thought, Perfect! There's my blog inspo.

*****************************************************************************

So, ladies and gents', let me take you through my beloved cutie-pie Second Granddaughter's gallery of artwork through the years...

       AVS: Art on the Virtual Fence

Exhibit 1 (left): DOG IN SWEATER | Right: Making a YouTube short on Minnie? There are only two things I can't resist. My cat and my other two cats.

First off, just look at this rendition she drew in kindergarten of a black dog, fancifully garbed in a blue sweater adorned with pink hearts and stars. This young artist now cuddles with three rescue kitties.

Left: Enjoying the scent of a magnolia flower | Exhibit 2 (right): Monet Garden

Her love for flowers has been evident early on in this Monet-like impressionist floral garden, also an art project in kindergarten. OMG, one of my favorites!

ICYMI, I'd like to draw your attention to the hidden creatures in there. Can you spot them?




Oh-oh... a  tinge of the dark side in this next piece. 

Dismal trees in silhouette are haunted by three ominous bats.

JMO, but perhaps it was a Halloween project in her first grade class.


Exhibit 3 (left): SILHOUETTE TREE



Winged creatures dominate the next couple of sketches.

Exhibit 4 (left): BALD EAGLE  | Exhibit 5 (right): AUDUBON BIRD 

In a drawing made in first grade, a bald eagle pouts as if to say, I'm not going bald. I'm just getting more head.

And in a sketch of a hummingbird made in third grade, the pastel colored hummer is probably cracking a joke. Did you know? Hummingbirds hum because they don't know the lyrics. LOL!

Exhibit 6 (left): CIRCLE WEAVING | Exhibit 7 (right): KALEIDOSCOPE

Fourth grade must be the year for mosaics and kaleidoscopes, evident in these couple of drawings - both VN and complex. 

Circle Weaving reminds me of a native American weaving, the so-called Eye of God. Different shades of blue used with contrasting black and white colors create a calming tone to the work.

Kaleidoscope is intricately symmetrical, using gradient colors. Looks like a maze? Or an Irish knot? What do you think?

Exhibit 8 (left): BRAILLE NAME  | Right: Apple-picking, or shall I say, apple tree-climbing? Lynd's Fruit Farm, Ohio, 2022 

Finally, capping this short art exhibit is Braille Name, a personal favorite of mine. This project made in third grade is actually a rendering of the person's name in braille using pompoms, set against a chosen background, Mondrian in this case.

Awesome! First time I've seen braille so creatively rendered. 

P.S. We were gifted with this canvas rendition, now a special-occasion topper on our dining table. 




My congratulations to the young artist!

Wasn't this virtual art tour GR8? 


I hope you had a great time - TTFN!




I couldn't help including this adorable photo for a final bio-pic of the artist.




*************************************************************
Text message abbreviations used (in case you're a senior, as First Granddaughter would say, and don't know):

OMG - oh, my goodness                        VN - very nice 
JMO - just my opinion                           GR8 - great                     
ICYMI - in case you missed it                TTFN - ta-ta for now
LOL - laughing out loud




No comments:

Post a Comment