Saturday, August 26, 2023

"Trees"

Trees 

For in the true nature of things, if we rightly consider, every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold and silver. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Indeed. 

Trees represent age and beauty and the miracles of life and growth. Thus, I end this series with Joyce Kilmer's classic lyric poem Trees. I used to sing it in my elementary school class.

Dog wood In Spring.
Photo: VEV, Columbus: 2022


I think that I shall never see

A poem lovely as a tree.


A tree whose hungry mouth is prest

Against the earth’s sweet flowing breast;





Maple Ash in Summer. Photo: ATV, Columbus: 2022


A tree that looks at God all day,

And lifts her leafy arms to pray;


A tree that may in summer wear

A nest of robins in her hair;










Upon whose bosom snow has lain;

Who intimately lives with rain.



Dogwood In Winter. Photo: VEVColumbus: 2022


Apple Picking In The Fall. Photos: ITV, Lynd Fruit Farm, Columbus: 2022

Poems are made by fools like me,

But only God can make a tree.


No comments:

Post a Comment