Saturday, April 13, 2024

Bunot And Walis

Philippine-Style Cottagecore 

Why can't the house clean itself? It seems to get dirty by itself. - Anonymous

Vacuum? Swiffer what?


We didn't have any of these. The best house cleaners? Plain, old bunót and walis (coconut husk and broom).

Bunót (accented on the second syllable) refers to a coconut husk used to polish floors. 



Walis is a soft whisk broom used on smooth floors like hardwood. Though it sheds, the natural bristles are great for dislodging dirt and dust.

And you know what else?

We had Monica, a twelve-year-old live-in helper.

There was 99% chance she would be cleaning in the mornings using these implements and humoring us with her sassy comments.

Mum being her ally, Monica could get away saying, soon after she'd pulled the bunót from underneath Lil' Boy's desk, This house was clean yesterday. What happened?

That Monica! She was a character. I just laughed because I knew her moods not only swung. They fluctuated and bounced back from spirited to being sweet and caring.


I was familiar with her routine. Humming a discordant phrase from a Nora Aunor song, she'd place a foot on the husk. 

She'd use her leg power to move in such a way as to scrub the floor.

Internet pic only



Moving into the kitchen, she'd yell at the brothers, I could keep this kitchen clean if you people would just stop eating here.

My brothers didn't argue with her. They didn't say, Ew. They knew best how to handle her mood swings: bring her food, then keep a safe distance.

That always worked. A snack break of pan de coco humored her, even when she had to additionally apply floor wax onto the living room floor (Mum's instruction. I was having a visitor in the late afternoon).

All that was left to do was to sweep dirt into a small pile. Sweep the pile into a dustpan. Become increasingly annoyed when the last bit refused to sweep into dustpan.

And, of course, cheeky little Monica would say when she was done, I just finished cleaning the house. Nobody touch anything when I leave for school. (Mum had her go to school in the afternoon).

On her way out, she'd look back at me, beaming, Ate, bili kita ng corn nut pag-uwi ko. (Eldest Sister, I'll buy you corn nut when I come back.) 

Peering into her twinkling eyes and quickly surveying the house, I could only say, Good job! Super kintab (shiny)!


No comments:

Post a Comment