Sunday, August 9, 2026

Aug15 On The Road Again!

Hot Mess: Diary of a Road Trip, Part I

August is the season finale of Hot Mess: Summer Edition (just nod and sip your iced coffee).

For a change in blog style, I thought that I'd use a diary format for our recent road trip to Finger Lakes.

Here goes.

M O N D A Y ,   A U G U S T  3

Each new day is a blank page in the diary of your life. – Douglas Pagels

π’Ÿπ‘’π’Άπ“‡ π’Ÿπ’Ύπ’Άπ“‡π“Ž, 



This was how it started. Second Daughter said, Road trip to FINGER LAKES. 


The FINGER LAKES are a group of eleven long, narrow, roughly north–south lakes located in New York.





Seneca, Cayuga, Skaneateles, Owasco, Keuka, and Canandaigua are considered the major lakes, while Conesus, Hemlock, Canadice, Honeoye, and Otisco are considered the minor ones.






I love road trips. It’s like doing something without actually doing anything.

Note to self: You got this. Snacks, crossword book, phone, and lots of pit stops.

Don’t forget the lap tray for snacks, plilows (as Favorite Grand/D used to say it, and blankies.



Heed these road trip rules:

* Driver (Second Daughter, for the most part) – Drive. Focus on the road. Don’t kill us.

* Front seat passenger (Hubby) – Navigate. Stay awake.

* Backseat (Fav Grand/D and I) – Hand out snacks. Complain about leg room. Nap.

Woohoo! 

And just like that, we were on our way through the Great Lakes Seaway Trail to everywhere.



LUNCH BREAK. You guessed correctly.

After a three-hour drive, we paused and picnicked. It was good for the soul.





Lettuce have a picnic.

Good vibes and picnic times!



Yay! We made it to TONOWANDA.

TONOWANDA is a city in Niagara County, New York. It means swift-running water in the Seneca language.

Did someone say beef on weck for dinner? We were curious, and found out exactly what it was at the BAR-BILL TAVERN dinner in Clarence.




Formerly known as the Old Red Mill, the structure was built in 1858. It opened to the public in 2020, serving its world-famous chicken wings and
beef on weck.

Beef on weck, a traditional sandwich from Buffalo, New York, features roast beef served on a kummelweck roll characterized by its salted crust and caraway seeds.

The sandwich typically includes thinly sliced, rare roast beef and horseradish.



Eat the weck! Life is too short for self-hatred and celery sticks.




Yay! We made it to our lodging. Day 1 is done. Now, let’s see how many more bathroom breaks we can fit in.

See you tomorrow!

T U E S D A Y ,   A U G U S T  4

Making memories, one road trip at a time. - Anonymous

π’Ÿπ‘’π’Άπ“‡ π’Ÿπ’Ύπ’Άπ“‡π“Ž, 


I do look cool in the mirror. Pretty much one of the best people I know. But ugh… Why do I look dumb in pictures, especially selfies.

Reality check: Finally figured out the reason why. It was my face.

The selfies I had deleted were the real me.

So, why capture a self-portrait? I just needed to unmask my true self, I guess.








Shine bright.

Be yourself for today’s tour in GENEVA, a charming city situated at the northern end of Seneca Lake, known for its beautiful landscapes, historic sites, and vibrant community.








Standing at the edge of LAKE ONTARIO, with blue water stretching to the horizon, it was easy to forget we weren't at the ocean because of the steady break of waves along the wide sandy shoreline.




HIGH FALLS, a 96-foot waterfall in the center of downtown Rochester, is the tallest of the three waterfalls on the Genesee River.

Striking views could be enjoyed from the Pont de Rennes pedestrian bridge, or from the rooftop of the Genesee Brew House.







Picnic lunch at DURAND EASTMAN BEACH





The beach boasts boasts 5,000 feet of Lake Ontario waterfront, steep wooded slopes, and spring-flowering trees and foliage. 






 

Checking the weather, I guess today’s forecast (and for the next five days or so): 99% chance of wine, as we were off to first of five wineries on our itinerary.



 

THREE BROTHERS WINERIES AND ESTATES serves its award-winning dry Riesling and popular sweeter dessert wines amid a beautiful scenery and view of spectacular Seneca Lake. 







Wine flies when you’re having fun.




One glass of wine is good for you.

Two is even better.

After that, who needs a doctor?







This wine is awful. 

Get me another glass!






The day is done. Think of all the good moments of this day and keep a smile for tomorrow.

Good night!





No comments:

Post a Comment