September Happenings
Happy IRIS DAY!
First Iris Blooms
Left: Hybrid Iris. Photo: I.T.V.
Center-Right: Bearded Irises. Photo: V.E.V. Columbus, Ohio: April 27, 2026
Today is a celebration of the iris. Yes, those classic garden blooms.
But more than that, of our own exquisite flower.
Our Iris.
This one.
Our rainbow and messenger of the gods.
Here she is -
elegant, magical, funny, someone who embodies hope, faith, and wisdom - in a
spectrum of colors and moods.
Like they say it – ain’t over ‘til the
fat guy swings. Cincinnati
Reds game, June 2026
The quirky things that make you different are what make you beautiful.
Short hair because sometimes less is more.
Left: Gulab Jamon. Cumin and Curry Indian Restaurant: Columbus, 2025
To
me, “drink responsibly” means don’t spill it.
Center-Right: Cinco
de Mayo, 2026 and Wine Tasting,
Michigan, 2025
Left: Pancake Breakfast. Stonybrook UMC, February 2026
Right: Orlando, Florida. July 2025
Left: Breakfast Treat for Columbus Blue. December 2023
Right: You don’t have to be a doctor to save lives; just donate blood. February 2021
She believes that the only way to have friends is to be one.
Left: Prom Day with Columbus Police
friends, 2025
Right: Dive Team Christmas Party, 2025
Family and oh-so-delicious crispy and golden tilapia and fresh watermelon slush– a match made in heaven.
Hosting family and long-time Florida friend at dinner, September 2026
She's a thinker and a planner.
I think that I think too much, so...
... I think I’ll think about things less.
Top left and bottom: The Barn: May 2026
Top right: Dimsum Bistro: May 2026
At the beginning of the schoolyear, Fav Grand/D’s teacher mentioned having to present a speech about a hero at the end of the school year. Guess which hero she honored?
Text of her presentation follows:
Some may say that heroes put themselves into harm’s way, do good deeds without asking for anything in return, or give back to the community.
Mother and daughter from the start. Best friends forever from the heart.
For me, I didn’t have a problem
choosing my hero. I knew right away that it was going to be my mom. She’s hard
working, helpful, confident and so much more, and she deserves this title more
than anyone else in my life does.
My mom
works in public health for the Columbus Police, and it’s always intriguing to
hear about what she did at work that day. From teaching new recruits to working
in her warehouse, I love listening to what she shares. Though, while hearing
about how an officer got contaminated with someone else’s “yucky stuff” might
not sound interesting, that is how my mom goes about fixing the problem at hand
and helping the officer. This really expresses her quick-thinking and hard
working character. Her hard work ethic has rubbed off on me all throughout my
life. In school I get good grades, I practice piano consistently, and I give it
my all in track and field. Because of my mom’s influence, I’m able to achieve
goals and get better at my hobbies.
But, she’s not just helpful in her line of work. My mom has taught me how to do lots of things, whether that be from something as simple as cooking eggs, or as complicated as learning how to be strong.
Don't be afraid to take whisks. Gold Cudgel Hot Pot Restaurant, Columbus, 2026
When I’m stuck on something – like when I’m doing homework or practicing piano – she always knows exactly how to help. Similarly, when I want advice or when I need to get something off my chest, she always knows exactly what to say. I strive to be just as good of a help in and out of school, as well as someone that gives good advice and undivided attention to those who need it.
My mom models how to keep my head held high, and how not to doubt myself. She’s helped me get through stressful situations, and she’s always told me that “If you keep you head held high, no one can touch you.”
Keep your
heels, head, and standards high. La
Bohème Opera, Ballet Met. May 2026
But controlling my anxiety and putting confidence into practice didn’t come naturally. It came with time; and even now, I still get nervous. But now, I know how to deal with my emotions, accept challenges, and keep my head held high like my mom told me. I owe that confidence to my mom.
Everyone’s hero is different. For me, my mom reflects every aspect of a hero.
She’s hard working, helpful, confident, smart, and so much more. I truly can’t express the impact you have on my life and how much you matter to me, your family, and your coworkers. Thank you for everything you’ve done for me.
Mothers are like superheroes, but with less time to change into a cape. - Unknown
Toronto, July 2024
This year's celebration of IRIS DAY started a week early.
SURPRISE! (Umm... not really. Opening gifts from her Amazon wish list.)
Then, it was time for Happy Hour.
BrewDog is a 8,600 square foot bar with 24 taps. They have shuffleboard, pinball machine games, and an outdoor terrace to cozy up for an evening by the firepits.
Beer: now cheaper than gas. Drink… don’t drive.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
This is the youngest you'll ever be.
No comments:
Post a Comment