Sunday, January 22, 2017

Becoming Joy

Festivities for the Loi Krathong holiday had begun.

I peered at the ugly shadow of the graying sky. At first it was simply darkness without texture - indifferent, not promising. It seemed like a portent of something perhaps missing in life.

Then, a commotion.

Natives from the nearby hill tribe of Chiang Mai began chattering excitedly, They are bringing out the kongming lanterns!

I had learned as much that in Thailand, people released lanterns for good luck. When they set one free, they believed that they were letting their worries and problems go away. One of the tribal folk also disclosed in a whisper, You know secret to enlightenment? Give lantern gift to monk.

I watched with curiosity as the fire starter at the bottom of the rice-paper balloons was ceremoniously lit. The lantern frames were carefully held down as the fire burned - timidly at first, then fiercely. The lanterns slowly swelled with hot air. One by one, then in twos and threes - bloated fireballs were released.

The entire scenery was breathtaking. I had previously seen lit pyres of ceremonial baskets floating onto lakes and ponds, but not fire afloat in the endless sky.
Thai sky lanterns

The kongming gamboled in the heavens like jellyfish bobbing through murky water. They banished whatever mourning there was into dancing. My sackcloth of grief had been loosened, and I was girded with gladness.


The Lord of the Dance had presided over all, enjoining me to dance, dance!

And I lead you all, wherever you may be
And I lead you all in the dance, said he.

It was a celebration. Under the luster of a Thousand Lights, my happy feet cavorted in the joyous intersection of time and eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment