Saturday, July 29, 2017

Sunset on Waikiki Beach

O, Perfect Day

Inspired by the view from our beach backyard in Honolulu
Sitting on the sand near the shore, I watch the sun start its lazy descent.

Its brilliance begins to drench the ocean side in a haze of golden light. The air is filled with a soft dust that seems to catch and hold the last particles of the sinking sun.

Paddlers are tying up their outrigger canoes. Atop the rocky ledge jutting out from the shore, lit tiki torches begin to burnish the twilight darkness with a shimmering flame. As the crimson rim slowly leaves the horizon, stillness starts to settle over everything. 

It has to be the most outrageous sunset I have ever seen.

It is vast and exotic and powerful. I look at it and I know it has been the same for a thousand years, and yet how it seems to be new each day.

As I reflect on its radiant glow, I feel the sudden rush of contentment of being cocooned in a special place and a special time. I hate to end it by leaving. I'm preserving this Perfect Day by doing what I can hardly ever remember doing before.

Nothing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment