Saturday, May 26, 2018

Die Original Sacher-Torte

Food, Glorious Food

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DIE ORIGINAL SACHER-TORTE
Cafe Sacher: Wien, Austria 
$ Value: 9,00 Euro/slice (approx $9.68)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Die Original Sacher-Torte has been the most famous cake in the world.

The story goes that in 1832, Prince Metternich commissioned his chef to create a new dessert. As the latter was ill, his sixteen-year-old apprentice Franz Sacher took over. The cake he created was a success and bears his name to this day - its recipe a well-kept secret of the Hotel Sacher in Vienna, Austria. 

We're headed there now, a mere three-minute walk from the State Opera, to treat ourselves.

The interior of Cafe Sacher is lovely and elegant, with refined decor and crystal chandeliers. I wait in anticipation - crumpling the napkin in my fist, poised to stab a mouthful of this culinary specialty.  

In the beginning, there is the Word. And the Word is with Chocolate. And the Word, soon enough as I see it, is Sacher-Torte. 

My fork halfway to my mouth, I pause, then pop a piece and take a bite as the delicious chunk melts over my tongue. I close my eyes with pleasure. I'm savoring the taste slowly, with silent, intense satisfaction like it is some sweet memory.

It's like a chocolate bomb that's exploding - perhaps it's the way it makes me feel: more alert to the sounds and scents of the world, more aware of the color and textures of things, more aware of myself, of the mouth, of the throat, of the sensitive tongue.

The torte is all chocolate, thick and on the firm side, with a crowning glory of - what else? A rich chocolate glaze. With unsweetened whipped cream schlag, it seems less dense. A thin layer of apricot jam complements its dark delectability. 

The sweetness sets my cheeks to aching. It is warm and soft, and I roll it in my mouth like perfumed comfort. 

Refined, elegant. Understated without swirls or curlicues. It is not a souffle, a trifle, or a mousse. It thinks it's a cake. It tastes like a cake, pure, unadulterated cake. And it is.

Given the premise, I'd say, Delicious! Köstlich! 

My Review: ** - Very good, worth a detour

No comments:

Post a Comment