Saturday, June 16, 2018

Hot Diggity Dog!

It's Show Time!

This Father's Day, I fondly remember one of Dadee's creative ventures.

It is twilight, my favorite time of day. I call it the magic hour. Barefoot, hair still damp from our baths, we run to the living room sala for one last moment of play.

Tonight, Dadee has a surprise for us. 

Seated on the rattan sofa, we're stretching our neck to have a good view of his latest innovative project. I recognize the box - it's Uncle Greg's empty Elpo shoebox. Inside is a four-inch wide strip of white bond paper that is rolled around a longer, thin wood spindle. The outer edges of the 'film holder' protrude through a hole on the side of the box so they can be cranked. On the exposed face of the paper, I can see several images drawn in pairs that only minimally differ from each other. 

With a grin spreading across his features, Dadee begins to move the reel in rapid succession, mimicking the illusion of motion and change. It is a pre-cinema animation of sorts using a hand-crafted movie 'projection' system.

Let me see, First Brother squeaks. But it's my turn, I counter, peeking from behind Second Brother who's sitted on my lap. 

We're jockeying for the most strategic position in front of the miniscule carton viewer. Then, our eyes widen. Mickey Mouse! 

We laugh, our brows arched in delight. We know him by sight because of his red shorts with the two big buttons on the front, large yellow shoes, and white gloves that contrast with his black hands and body. He's at the helm, rhythmically changing the angle of the rudder to change the direction of the ship.

Besides being the projectionist, Dadee also voices Mickey. Hot diggity dog! he says in emulation of the latter's famous little falsetto and high-pitched voice. First Brother giggles. The excitement and enjoyment are contagious. 

Dadee gives us a small appreciative nod. Then, he continues with Mickey off-handedly saying, Oh, boy! We all bark a laugh. Make him say that again, Second Brother squeals. He gets off on the floor and tries to look for the cartoon character behind the table. We all chuckle.

I'm seated closer now, elbows on the table, chin resting in my upturned palms, and staring at the show unfolding. This is what Dadee does best. He makes even the smallest moments feel larger than life.

I follow Mickey's repeated antics with my eyes. He seems to have come alive, romping around within the narrow confines of a shoebox.

I don't believe we have ever smiled so much in our life. We applaud the show.

Sige pa! Encore! 

No comments:

Post a Comment