Saturday, March 23, 2019

Roving Mission

Surviving Waikiki

Sol 5

Be advised. The visual is GO today.

Roger. You're loud and clear, Houston.

It was time to emerge from the Command Center hub.

Sunshine today! The dawning day was a thing of beauty. All polished and clean, it looked like a just painted picture, the paint still wet. The clouds had dissipated, leaving a patchy blue sky. I didn't have to use a tether or additional anchors. The solar wind was calm. Not like the previous night.

Looking around, I saw that it had toppled a couple of old, huge kiawe trees to the ground at Kapiolani Park and pushed sand all the way to the Honolulu Zoo. But there were signs of life everywhere. The streets, ABC stores, people, and even the traffic all seemed strangely familiar.

The eagle landed... 

Er... actually a wild rooster pranced around. As in Neil Armstrong's metaphor, it was a celebration of the glow of a new morning.

Back in the hub, though still preoccupied with the looming reality of dwindling food supply, I carried on with routine maintenance and stuff. I was sick of thinking.

For after-dinner entertainment, I settled for TV reruns of Alfred Hitchcock shows from forever ago.

Sol 6

I slept in today. I deserved it.

I was going to start my Perfect Sol with a re-supply mission trip to Ross. (For those not in the know, Ross Dress For Less is reputedly the largest off-priced retailer in the US.)

Time to get ready. What?!! No water. Sigh... okay.

Houston. We have a problem.

Resuming service in 1200 hours.

Roger that.

That would be three hours from now. What could I do? The short answer was, Nothing. Seriously, that sucked.

Meanwhile, Scott wipes. Life saver.

P.S. The day did end up perfectly. Tuesday 10% Ross discount for... ahem... seniors.

Awesome.

(To be continued)




No comments:

Post a Comment