Saturday, March 16, 2019

The Big Storm

Surviving Waikiki
Sol 3

I did a full diagnostic and systems check on my electronics. Twice. Everything was perfect. Including the fact that today was Saturday.

Shabbat Shalom. Peaceful Sabbath.

I'd always honored it by refraining from strenuous activity. Such as a routine walk or check on the outside of my station. I took it easy and merely updated this log and posted my scheduled blog.

No three-fourths food ration for today's lunch either. Hey, I earned it: spicy Thai chicken and rice, plus Kona coffee glazed macadamias for dessert with iced tea.

Truth. I was feeling pretty confident. I'd begun to think that I would be okay.

I caught up with A Million Little Things. I'd agree with Second Daughter that Delilah should quit speaking in a husky tone. I also think her hair needed deep conditioning and a trim.

Dinner consisted of a small ration of Safeway chicken wings with catsup spiced with Taco Bell diablo hot sauce. On a serendipitous note, I discovered three half manapuas, steamed buns filled with savory pork and various sauces. I wasn't ashamed that I ate two portions. Yum-O with hot tea.

Hold on. Weather breaking news just now from Command Center.

Active watch and warning for Oahu. High surf warning and wind advisory in effect from 0400 hours Sunday to 2400 hours.

That was the Big Storm I referenced two entries ago. Remember? It was on its way, all right.

Yet it was quiet. The lull before the storm? I could hear my own heartbeat. Shush, stop being a Drama Queen, as First Grandson would have said.

I went to bed.

Sol 4

The weather had changed. Not the best of days to be outside. The sky had turned weepy and dark. As if someone had torn open a waterskin, rain poured out from the clouds. The winds were gusting. Jeepers, I could get hurtled into the void, or in NASA terminology, 'go overboard.'

If the situation worsened, I could use the Rover (aka the rental car) and drive away, but where to? I had no sense of direction.

Bleh.

But I thought of the dome pop tent that was in the car. I could get it up and use it as a MAV ascent vehicle to evacuate. Hopefully fast. And float like an Ares astronaut. On the other hand, if I ended up stuck in the storm and doomed to die, I could eat all remaining meal portions. (Shame on me. Enough already.)

Lunchtime. Hmm... those Safeway chicken wings were delish.

On a related musing, I thought about the likelihood of First Grandson's Dirty Dawgs flag football and First Granddaughter's Purple Mermicorns soccer game getting cancelled. And how Second Granddaughter was doing.

ESP point-to-point. Client message received.

From First Daughter: Games cancelled due to rain.

From Second Daughter: Second Granddaughter learned how to finger knit very fast! Loves it!

I'd been missing my sweethearts.

In other news, today was the Grammys.

The winds had picked up again. The night was gonna be a cold one.

(To be continued)



No comments:

Post a Comment