Saturday, February 1, 2020

Pares Puso

Love, Sweet Love

Inspired by Pares Puso, a feature article that I wrote for the Philippine Chronicle, February 1975 

What the world needs now is love, sweet love. - Lyrics of song popular in the mid-60's

What is it about February that makes you smile?

An adorable homemade card with 'love bugs'?

A box of Be Mine sweetheart sugar candies?

A discounted heart chocolate on the 15th?

Me, too.

Plus one other especial thing. Something that I'd relished way back in my early teen years when my chest was flat and my behind was still smooth as a baby’s bottom.

The MYF Valentine's Day celebration.

I literally counted the minutes until party time at St. Matthew's.

I remember getting dressed in a low-waisted floral flare dress. An outfit for the ages. My skyscraping beehive hairstyle held at bay by a matching headband.

And everything was amazing, as I had expected.

The pancit served with a side of puto sprinkled with colored coconut on top that was still making my mouth smile.

The whispering of a gaggle of pre-teens, all of them with the same hairdo, in a corner of the light-strewn patio of the church.

Our voices singing a plea, Let me call you sweetheart and affirming, Skinny marinky dinky dink, I love you.

And the cherished highlight of my evening...

The Pares Puso (literally 'Heart Pairings') game.

This is where names of famous couples from cartoons, history, or TV shows were written on paper. We picked out one from a hat and pinned it on our blouse or shirt front. Then, we mingled and looked for the person that was our pair. Couples would then parade, vying for the prestigious 'Mr. and Miss Valentine' title.

I wanted to be paired with Emy. I kind of, sort of, maybe quite possibly, liked him a whole lot. I began my search, beaming in his direction and tossing my head flirtatiously as I approached.

Hi, I'm Daisy Duck, I said, sounding breathless and patting my heart.

He gave a goofy, embarrassed shrug. I melted.

Si Donald Duck ako. I'm Donald Duck, was the only sentence he spoke.

Maybe he was shy.

Maybe he was intimidated by my hairstyle.

Regardless, I felt a rush of excitement flooding my body. I felt like floating in the air.

What happened the rest of the night? Umm... My heart had just flat-lined. I couldn't remember. Whatever. However. Whyever.

Just that I was glowing like a beacon, captured by the magic of a world filled with love, sweet love and where the lights bobbed and the stars were bright. 

No comments:

Post a Comment