Saturday, March 14, 2020

Wind Serenade

The Springtime Cometh

Some soft chime had stroked the air; And though the sound had parted thence, 
Still left an echo in the sense. - Ben Jonson

Do all the talk and anxiety over the raging pandemic get you a little down?

Me, too.

My heart gets a little heavy.

My steps get a little slower.

So what can I do to kick away the sadness and gloom?

I keep thinking of spring who delights me with yet another gift to enliven my heart.

A wind serenade.

Light and calm, it emanates from this string of temple bells. It's a Mother's Day gift from First Daughter. 

I hang it on a tipped branch of the lilac tree shading the deck. The chime, inspired by ancient Chinese bells, works in harmony with the wind to create gentle, soothing tones.

There are orange-chested robins arguing in the trees beyond and the muffled hum and chatter of voices in the street but apart from that, the air is quiet and perfectly unspoiled. 

As if the world were holding its breath.

Beholden to the temple bells jingling a tune like some fairy announcement.

The sound is like a whisper.

A serenade of spring.

(To be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment