Saturday, June 3, 2023

Why The Pineapple Has Many Eyes

Bedtime Stories

The bedtime story is a genius invention. A tiny gift of wonder before you fall asleep. - Carolyn Dubisch 

Today, kids Google or ask Alexa for answers about anything and every thing. I dare say that they seldom have had the experience of hearing quaint and fascinating explanations about the why and how of things in the form of folklore.

Me? I learned from stories that my Dad told. 

About the origins of many things that can be seen, heard, felt, smelled, and tasted. 

Accounts of heroism and love.


The tales I had been told as a child undoubtedly marked me for life. Although some of them were dark and terrible and usually told just before the lights were turned out and I was left alone, I loved them. 

I loved them when I first heard them. Even as a grown up, thinking I'd forgotten them entirely, they have never lost their power over me.

So I fondly remember them and my Dad, as well, as I share some of my favorites on this Father's Month. 


***


Once upon a time, there was a pretty little girl called Piña. 

She was loved dearly and spoiled by her mother.

But as Piña grew older, she became lazy and inconsiderate.




One day, the mother got sick, so Piña had to do the cooking.

Grumbling and resentful, she half-heartedly set out to make some rice porridge.



While in the kitchen, Piña kept asking where her mother kept the things she needed.

Mother, where is the rice bin? 

The mother had to shout her answer several times over because Piña took ages before she could find whatever it was she was looking for.

Mother, where is the firewood for the stove?

Where’s the soup ladle?

Mother, where’s the salt?

Feeling weak and exasperated with Piña’s unending questions, the mother finally lost her temper and let out a curse. 

Heaven forbid child! But I call on all the gods to put eyes all over your face so you can see the things you’re looking for.

Tired and weak, the mother fell asleep.

When she woke up, the house was dark and quiet. She called Piña but there was no answer. 

On the kitchen floor, she tripped on a strange-looking object. It was shaped like a human head with tufts of leaves atop its crown.

The brown circles scattered all over the object reminded her of Piña’s beautiful brown eyes.

Horrified, the mother remembered that she let out a terrible curse on her daughter.

Alas, the curse came to pass.

The gods had put eyes all over Piña’s face. 

And that is why the pinya or pineapple has many eyes.

The end


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment