Saturday, January 6, 2024

Silvery Moon

Talking To The Moon

The moon was a warm milky glow in the sky, as if the sight of it could become a song in the eyes of anyone willing to raise their head upward. - Angela Abraham

Among Auntie Lucy's suitors, Mr. Mendez was my favorite.

He was kind and gentle.

More importantly, he had a car.

Whenever he visited, I remember that I'd pat my plaited hair neatly, smoothen out my dress, and put on my chinelas (slippers). Then, dragging First and Second Brothers, I'd advise my Mum, 'Mie, punta kami sa kabila (we're going next door) and run the few steps to Lolo Gorio's house.


Why?

Because I knew that Mr. Mendez would be taking us all on a ride along Dewey Boulevard. 

The area was a popular waterfront promenade. Running along the shores of Manila Bay, it was well known for its sunsets and stretch of coconut trees.



I didn't know why, but every time we did this ride, we'd belt out:

By the light of the silvery moon

I want to spoon

To my honey, I'll croon love's tune

Perhaps, it was the grace of the white-gold moon that made us sing.

Honey moon, keep a-shinin' in June

Your silvery beams will bring love's dreams

We'll be cuddlin' soon

By the silvery moon

Maybe it was its glow.

Its magic. 

The wonder.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment