Saturday, September 7, 2024

Beignet and Cappuccino

 Simple Gifts

In the early morning, as I watched the deck come to life with an assortment of our adopted critters, lyrics from a song the girls used to sing in Cherub Choir came to mind. 

'Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free

'Tis the gift to come down where we ought to be.

- Simple Gifts, Shaker song written and composed in 1848

A great choice for my September series. 

Simple Gifts.

So it shall be.

And as I find myself in the place just right, twill be in the valley of love and delight.

*****

The most important decision you make is to take in a good mood. - Voltaire

I don't have to overextend myself to take in a good mood.

A French Quarter classic beignet and cappuccino will do.

It has been said that the true meaning of life is not to be discovered only after death in some hidden, mysterious realm. On the contrary, it can be found by eating the succulent fruit of the Tree of Life and by living in the here and now as fully and creatively as we can.

I agree.

At a downtown cafe that morning with Second Daughter for a pre-Mother's Day treat, my here and now was defined in a plate of deep-fried, soft, donut-like original beignet and a cup of cappuccino. 


Dusted with powdered sugar and served warm, what was not to love about this square-shaped pastry? I was almost smacking my lips with anticipation.

Every bite of the beignet and every sip of my espresso-based coffee drink topped with a thick layer of foam was heaven.

Délicieux! C’est fantastique! I spoke through stuffed lips.

Some days, you just have to create your own sunshine.


No comments:

Post a Comment