Saturday, October 3, 2020

Tribal Throw

Weavings

It’s like October showed up and bit me with the crafting bug. 

Suffice it to say I am all about crafting right now. Needlework, latch hooking, weaving. Anything that uses yarn and floss. Capturing designs that I love. Folk, tribal, ethnic.

In this series, meet my completed projects from months past and present, each given its unique award. 

First off, this throw.

It's really old. 

This handicraft got started way back when I was channeling the fun, sweet vibe of the early 90's with a medium bob and butterfly-clipped bangs and a dress with extra big shoulder pads matched by colored tights from Marshall's.

My pursuit started out as a blank canvas. I loved the concept. A loose weave monk's fabric. Bordered within were twenty squares that could be embellished with cross-stitched or latch hooked depictions.

Painstakingly, I filled each space with an image - of an inuit fish, Aztec and Mayan ornaments and statues, a Hopi spirit being, a Navajo kachina figure, and various other designs that expressed the natural beauty of tribal cultures.

Then, life happened. My needlework endeavor got stashed. 

Recently, I reached back for it (actually, accidentally found it while looking for my ceramic pumpkin in the basement). And it showed up. With ten out of its total twenty areas completed. (Aside: Good that I had spread out the images, so the open spaces looked intentional.)

I did update it with an inscription, come and sit a spell (also the title of this year's July series, as you may remember).

To me, it looks sufficient overall. 

A reminder of the good old days of cross-stitching enthusiasm. 

I give this throw the Was-Lost-But-Now-Am-Found Award.

(To be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment