Saturday, March 19, 2022

Pit Boss

My Life As A Professional

The closest to perfection a person ever comes is when he or she fills out a curriculum vitae.

This I came to realize in the early 80's when in midstream, I decided to apply for a computer tech job. Computers had come to the forefront. I wanted to be there.

Anyway, back to my original thought.

Curriculum vitae.

Super fancy term, right? You might know or have heard of it if you are French, took French, visited France as an exchange student, or simply like Camembert cheese on your baguette.

The term is Latin for course of life, often shortened to CV. It is a short written summary of a person's career, qualifications, and education. 

Going over my CV when I applied for a Computer Lab position at a community college's High Tech Center made me feel fabulous.

I had world lit degrees. I was a university instructor in a prestigious state university, was field interviewer for a Chicago university research laboratory, and an administrative assistant for a Cook County Hospital physician.

I was a published writer.

Curriculum VitaeOriginal document: 1977

PublicationsOriginal CV attachment: 1977

Plus I had just completed a data processing degree with high honors, and was conversant in computer languages, among other things.



I got the job.

At first, it seemed different.

But it was basically the same as my previous ones - an environment among faculty and students and administrators but more high-tech. 

Our innovative open-entry/open-exit system whose time had come garnered several full, center-page spread coverage in the college newspaper.

And I was in the midst of it.

The pit boss, presiding over the building's so-called sunken pit area that was two-thirds the size of a football field. 

I innovated and programmed a computerized login in BASIC.



Alongside college professors and counselors, I was a regular presenter on career day at various Arizona high schools. 

For tours that I gave to visitors from all over the world, I used my dramatic flair and showed off my piddling knowledge of Spanish and German when called for. 

I also wrote for our online newsletter High-Tech, High-Touch and faced the almost-daily challenges of circumventing computer glitches and bugs.

For sure, there were fun moments, too.

(Below left): One of the munchkins (in striped jumper) in The Yellow Disk Road-themed display at the center on Homecoming Week


(Left): Party time with the Director-birthday celebrant 





A butterfly on Halloween waiting with a student Instructional Associate to give out sweets to the children from the college's Children's Center  

 

 

 I was awarded Employee of the Year and was a featured   employee for the college's Gaucho Gazette. 

  They were years full of promise and possibility.

  Adventures and a new beginning.

  A different perspective.

  An exciting new chapter.

(To be continued)





  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment