Saturday, October 22, 2022

Thank Heaven For Little Girls

My Songs

Thank Heaven For Little Girls is a 1957 song written by Alan Jay Lerner and Frederick Loewe. It was sung by Maurice Chevalier in the 1958 film Gigi.

***

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Anonymous

It was a Mother’s Day of epic proportions.

I got a blue-and-tan striped shift dress and a Victoria magazine with a picture of an idyllic French countryside on the front cover.

And dangling cat's eye earrings from Pier One that sparkled when I laughed.

Best of all?

I had conned almost-four and five-year old daughters to sing at the Mother's Day tea in church. I thought my song selection was perfect.

Thank Heaven For Little Girls.

I had coached my innocent ones, teaching them gestures that went with each significant phrase. 

Those little eyes so helpless and appealing

When they were flashing

Send you crashing through the ceiling.

I remember listening, wide-eyed and stupid, as I accompanied them on the guitar.

I thought they looked like this.


They're older now.

For little girls get bigger every day

They grow up in the most delightful way.

But no matter how old they get, my heart will always be with them. 

Some days, when there aren't any songs in my heart, I quietly sing anyway. 

Thank heaven for my little girls. 

(To be continued)



No comments:

Post a Comment