Saturday, April 3, 2021

This One's For You

Insights

When words fail, music speaks.- Anonymous

It's a little bit funny... this feeling inside... hmm... hmm...

Do you have a habit like this? One minute you're rinsing baby drip-catcher bibs and the next minute, you're humming Elton John's classic ballad Your Song.

An anthem for the ages.

Totally old school.

I couldn't help it.

At the time, I didn't know that it peaked for ten weeks inside the Top of the Pops on the UK singles chart. What I do know was that it was Younger Daughter's go-to disc whenever she played with her Fisher Price Close N' Play record player.
 

She would sit on the floor, put the plastic disc on the player, and slam the cover. As the singer crooned on, she seemed to lapse into a complete vacuum as she picked out the song's nuances.

Oh I know it's not much but it's the best I can do.

With great depth and attention to her focus and her eyes dancing, she looked like a music fan who could listen to this song over and over.  

She was only two and rocking Elton John.

I must confess that I had found this on-demand listening a total delight. It was music at its best, whenever you wanted it.

Like her, I had become totally lost in the scratchy recording of the song's sentiment.

 You can tell everybody this is your song.

My eyes drifted half-open, lazily. Holding a smile, I savored the uplifting message.

How wonderful life is while you're in the world.

It was simple, and yet it shone with a clarity so sharp and poignant that I knew it would remain lodged in my heart.

 My gift is my song.

And this one's for you.







No comments:

Post a Comment