Saturday, October 23, 2021

Wee Kritters

Procraftinating

Definition: Working on craft projects when you should be doing laundry, making dinner, or cleaning house

Oh, look! It's crochet o'clock. - Anonymous

To crochet, or not to crochet, what a rhetorical question.

Crochet is my happy place. Once I started, I was hooked (pun totally intended). Especially when I discovered how to create these so-called amigurumi little kritters.

Crocheting is joyful in its simplicity.

There is only one stitch in work, the single crochet.

Combining several of this together, you get super-cute bears with multicolor ears, dressed in overalls and t-shirts. 

When you crochet, you work steadily, flicking the yarn - yellow in some places, a little brown in others, around a small golden crochet hook and drawing it secure through a loop previously made and, Ta-da! 

Small, chubby, and cute mouse-like Pokémon Pikachu comes to life. A curlique bang here and big blue French-knotted eyes after, Jigglypuff starts singing lullabies until his foes fall asleep.

The magic of crochet!


I never dreamed I'd grow up to be a super-cool crocheting lady, but here I have been killing it.

At the Hawaii Kai Preschool and Lincoln High School craft sales, and the Gahanna Flea Market for the past two years.

Gahanna Flea Market. Photo: I.T.V., 2018 | V.E.V.,2019

Gahanna Flea Market. All 2021 photos: V.E.V.

And last month, after a two-year hiatus because of the pandemic, at the revived Gahanna Flea Market.

Monies from sales aside, crocheting has many boons.

Given enough yarn, I'm certain that I can rule the world. This pastime keeps me from unraveling (another purposeful wordplay). I love days when my only problem is, Crochet this or that?

But best of all, it warms my heart that my wee kritters have brought smiles on the faces of children.

And wonderment. 

H O W !!! All caps. Underline. A million exclamation points. 

That was what Second Granddaughter's best friend reportedly said in amazement, holding in her hand a sleepy bitty mice under a blanket, snuggled in a cushy basket.

Kids and kids-at-heart as well.

They take such joy in the littlest things.

The simple moments.

My priceless memories.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment