Saturday, October 30, 2021

Tumbling Blocks

Procraftinating

Definition: Working on craft projects when you should be doing laundry, making dinner, or cleaning house

It's craft o'clock somewhere. - Anonymous

I usually go down the rabbit hole whenever I start watching do-it-yourself episodes on YouTube.

So far, I've been transported into a wonderfully surreal state, bingeing on projects like how to weave a wicker basket using jute rope.

I marveled at how mop heads could be turned into tassels and macrame coasters.

I thought it was genius that pipe cleaners could become people and that popsicle sticks could metamorphose into mini furniture for a cardboard dollhouse.

But of all that, the quirkiest and most interesting was you could actually create decorative and utilitarian projects using so-called tumbling blocks.

For those sitting at home wanting to learn something new, here's how to.

I used natural wooden blocks from the Tumbling Tower Game (Dollar Tree's generic jenga blocks), Titebond wood glue, and a hot glue gun - and I was off crafting like no one was watching.

My first attempt, Swedish-style candle and incense holders. 

Here are the finished projects, styled.

Two minimalist candle holders (1, 2) and a stand for my lotus incense (3).

I was delighted.



So why not a lantern-style holder with Southwest lines this time? It comes with a bonus matchbox holder on the side.

Isn’t it amazing how you can make beautiful things from simple wood scraps? Whoever said money couldn't buy happiness had clearly never been a Dollar Tree patron.

I’ve seen some more pretty clever projects using this material - trays, desk sets, holder for sundry items.

Well, I ventured doing these, too (see below).


Recently, I saw a YouTuber create 3-dimensional alphabet letters, so far the most challenging I've seen.

I was in.

I painstakingly worked on a D.

And got ambitious. What about a V?!!

After days of trial and error, I did get it done. Here was what I came up with, styled.

In lieu of its suggested use for cactus and flowers, I've displayed on it some of my treasured possessions.

A blue mochi bear squishy from Second Granddaughter.

A yellow Kitty Kitten LPS cat from First Granddaughter.

And Ollie, a hand-me-up stuffed otter from First Grandson with a multi-color cape he wove himself.

How's that for tripling the value of a finished product?

Recently, I made a Sun Kachina doll.



Traditionally carved from roots of cottonwood trees, it is one of hundreds of spiritual beings central to Hopi religious life. Hopi tribal folks give dolls like this to children. 

Maybe after all these, I could come up with another unique idea. An art piece, perhaps? How about a mosaic?

Hmm...

Here's looking at you, tumbling blocks!




No comments:

Post a Comment