Saturday, June 15, 2024

Floral Coin Purse

Purses 

A purse blog on Father's Day? Of course. I cannot seem to run out of Dad stories, all of them my favorites. Here's one to remember my Dad by.

*****

Some people don't believe in heroes, but they haven't met my Dad.

Dadee is one of my favorite parents. When I obsessed with, wanted or wondered about anything, or thought of a project, he was my go-to person. No and not possible were never options for him.

Thus, for my fixation on my tenth year on an upgraded purse, I went to Dadee.

I entreated him, Bili mo ako ng pitaka. Buy me a coin purse. (BTW, Mie had already said, No.)

The object of my childish desire had been prominently displayed on the front glass case in Kaga's corner tienda store - a 4.5" x 4" floral-print purse with a clasp closure.

I thought it was elegant and classy. Its two separate compartments could hold coins, candy, and other small items.

Internet pic only


At first, he grumbled and lightly coughed, his mouth quirking in a crooked smile.  I could so guess the myriad words on the tip of his tongue that for a minute, I wasn't as sure of my ground.

He shrugged, flashed a sheepish smile, and said with a mischievous grin, What did Mummie say?

When I simply rolled my eyes up, understanding lit his eyes. He gave an apologetic goofy smile, thought for a while, and then...  Yes, he said.

Yes, with a little half-bow, as if he were some sort of man-servant from ye olden times.


I remember stepping into his embrace, unable to say anything because I hadn't been so excited about a Yes since he last said I could join the Girl Scouts.

Everything else that followed is a blur now, but what remains to this day is a warm sense of home filtering through me, making my heart ache sometimes.

The confidence that with my Dad, almost anything was possible. 





No comments:

Post a Comment