Saturday, June 8, 2024

Hongkong Pouch

  Purses 

Anticipation of pleasure is, in itself, a very considerable pleasure. - David Hume

I was, maybe nine?

Aunt Luchie and Uncle Ed brought me back a gift from their honeymoon in Hongkong.

Internet pic only


Wow! A gift from abroad. 

It was a small, leather bagger pouch with Chinese-like inscription. My first real coin purse.

To me, it conjured images of dancing dragons and bursts of colored light from fireworks. Perhaps, a rickshaw? I'd like to ride in one.



I could imagine red paper lanterns strung across the street.

And food! The smell off spices carried in the steam from sizzling pots. Skewers of diced meat on a makeshift grill peddled curbside. I could sit cross-legged at tables with people eating rice with their hands.

I'd love to be there. And for sure, I'd bring my Hongkong purse filled with coins for pork bao and shumai.

I'd been looking forward to it.

Anticipation was half the fun, I'd been told.

P.S. I did have a one-day stopover in Hongkong when I emigrated to America in 1973. Now married and with a six-month old baby in tow, I recall feasting on Chinese lauriat in a sit-down banquet there.

Surprise! I still had with me my Hongkong purse, turned yellow with age.

Then again, in 1981, our family of four traveled to Hongkong, enjoying the sights - and dim sum, of course. The trip was part of our vacay itinerary that also included Hawaii.

My pouch was no more.



 


No comments:

Post a Comment