Friday, March 1, 2024

I Wanted To Go To Sarawak, Borneo

Things You Didn't Know About Me 

What one loves in childhood stays in the heart forever. - Mary Jo Putney

I wanted to go.

I knew it the minute Lil' Boy started posting photos of Sarawak, Borneo on the church bulletin board. They had been sent by a missionary who was going to be guest preacher the following Sunday.

At twelve years or so, I wasn't into sermons. Even if I was, I didn't understand much of what was said, but I've just now Googled some facts about the place.

Known as the Land of Hornbills, Sarawak is the largest state in Malaysia. The rhinoceros hornbill, easily recognizable by the large yellow casque on top of its beak, as well as feathers of black and white, is an icon and state emblem.  

50% of the total population is Christian. However, like most other ethnic groups, the Sarawakians still observe many of their traditional rituals and beliefs. And, yes, they speak English there.

What remain in my memory to this day, though, are images.

Of the mission team in a banca, paddling past a rainforest.

Internet pic only. Photos referred to in blog were vintage B/W.

And jungle trekking to join people in a longhouse, a stilted structure with a large number of rooms housing a whole community of families.

Of head trophies suspended and displayed to mark tribal victories.

I wanted to walk among men wearing bird clothes with beads and dragon motifs. I was eager to be in the company of women and children in hand-loomed cloths and tree bark fabrics adorned with feathers.

I dreamt of meeting with them where the sky touched the sea.

For them to wait for me where the world began.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment